Thursday, January 29, 2015

"Masters Project 2"

Back again with another quick share of my Masters Projects. This time showing project number 2. The challenge was to use non conventional materials.
Now this one was the most fun and pushed me to give the Masters a try!!
It was so much fun to create and as a result is my most favourite project!
For my materials I used joint compound and newspaper in my background.
See if you can spot them.


I wanted to create an original "beachy" background using the chosen materials and paint starting with a 12x12 sheet of chipboard. With all the wet mediums I wanted to use, I knew I needed the extra rigid substrate.


I used the newspaper to create some texture and glimpses of print under the layers of paint and joint medium.


After spreading the joint medium in various places I waited till it started to dry (it changes colour from a muddy cream to an off white) then pressed an embossing folder just enough to create an impression. If you want to give this a try just ensure you wash the folder straight away so that the medium does not ruin it.
Stamps are also great for this technique.


Once all was dry I covered the lot with gesso to create a good base to play with. Then the fun part began, playing with paint to get the look I wanted.


I tried to highlight the raised pattern with a combination of Inca Gold and thick embossing powder by Stampendous.


I treated the chippy with the same paint and stamped a pattern with versa mark ink then embossed with the same embossing powder.


When it came to the photo I chose a few neutral papers to layer so that they did not "fight" with the background, and made the photo pop! 
The title I coloured with black ink then used gold paint for the brackets.


So that is how I created my second masters project! 


Hope you have enjoyed the process and it has inspired you to give it a try. 
I am looking forward to giving my Christmas pressie a shot very soon.....a cute video camera! Process videos are a coming, may take some time for this tech challenged gal to get up to speed, but it will happen.....stay tuned everyone!
Next week project 3!


18 comments:

  1. That gold is fabulous! Just love this page, very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mitra, so happy you liked it and feel inspired, my job here is done!!

      Delete
  2. This is stunning! Love it! Wish you made a video tutorial

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes video would have been handy! I will try to get my act together stay tuned! Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. Wow - this is amazing. I love the muted tones and the texture. The ombre look creates a feeling of sky and sea. Thanks for the inspiration :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen that was the look I was going for! So glad you could see it, it means I achieved something along those lines, so happy I could inspire!

      Delete
  4. Love how you created the sea scene....it really is fabulous. And of course, you had me with the gold!!! Videos eh? I tried & decided the processing etc was way too annoying for me. Takes so jolly long! Good luck with it all....lotsa peeps do them so well.....I'm sure you'll be one of 'em:):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzy, you are always there to encourage and cheer me on, I think I may need it when it comes to getting on with the whole video thang!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait for the video tutorial! Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs Jennifer, I am crossing my fingers I can learn the whole video thing quickly and with little stress....hope I don't get stage fright! Thanks for taking a peek at my little blog!

      Delete
  6. Now this is stunning and so worthy of a masters entry.. absolutely love the background and all the texture and great photo and masculine feel to the layout too.. awesome page.. love it..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzy you are a gem! A big hug for the faith you have in my work!

      Delete
  7. Michele this looks like a stormy sea ready to be surfed! Your paint work and textures are absolutely stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Milagros so happy you popped in for a peek!

      Delete
  8. Fantastic project and love how you achieved all the different layers on your background. Never thought of applying an embossing folder to almost dry pastes/mediums and must give this a try. Lou x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, hope you have fun with the embossing folders!

      Delete
  9. Michelle I just saw this on Pinterest and had to find my way to the creator. This is AMAZING. I love how you created the background - so innovative. I'm following you now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Kathy so happy you found me, I hope I can continue to inspire!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to let me know you were here!